Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Wow, Eden Espinosa. Wow.

Say what you will about Wicked as a musical.
I think it's one of the better-structured shows of the last couple decades, with some awesome songs, and depending on who's in it, some beautiful scenes, clever dialogue. And when you consider the source material and how vastly different it is, the existence of this musical is astounding. It's not the best, but it's certainly one of them.

Say what you will about Eden Epsinosa.
Her range is just unbelievable. I saw her in San Francisco in this very role, and she was mindblowingly good. I swore she was hitting notes not in existence. Some of her acting is less than stellar, but I would say that's only because I've seen some amazing actors in the role (Julia Murney, for one).

Say what you will about "The Wizard and I."
I think it's a great 'I Want' song that doesn't follow that traditional structure. I think it builds beautifully, and sets up the rest of the play quite nicely.

Maybe it's all just not your cup of tea.
But I mean, man. This is just a fantastic performance.