Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Re-Blogged! Three: Resurrection

This article I wanted to ReBlog is pretty close to my heart. It was making the rounds a few months ago on my friends' Facebook pages. It's important stuff to remember, because theatre extends to all of us in a performing capacity.

Things I Wish I Had Been Told In Theatre School

#5 is important. Very important.
In college, I learned never piss off the stage manager. That's the first person you don't want to piss off. The next people are the crew. Because you don't want to piss off the people who are in charge of either: having your props ready, having your quick-change ready, keeping you lit, keeping you mic'd, and doing your make-up and wig well.
After working for Front of House these past few months, I'll also say this to the theatre youth, because I've been "meeting" quite a lot of them lately: the way you treat front of house staff members may not affect how well or badly you do as a performer, but it is much more reflective of how terrible of a person you will be in real life. Much like a waiter, or retail person, or some other low-level position that gets little respect but has to deal constantly with the worst society has to offer, I'll just say this: you'll get a lot further with us if you start off with, "I'm sorry, could you help me," or "Excuse me?" as opposed to, "Hey. You. Over there."

And #25 is the most important to understand of all.

But I also love #30.
I hate it, I hate it when people are intoxicated in any way, when they're about to go onstage. It's stupid, it's childish, and yeah, you're worse. Do what you want for your solo act, but everyone's expected to be at their best when they go and do a show with other people. I agree, it has nothing to do with professionalism. I think it has everything to do with respect. Do you respect the people you work with enough, and do you respect what you do enough?